Create this DIY Paper Flower Backdrop and wow your party guests!
Flower backdrops are popping up everywhere now that it is Spring and I am swooning over them. I just can’t get enough of all the bright colors and fun flower shapes. You can use paper flower backdrops for so many different occassions… weddings, spring and summer parties, baby showers, graduations, birthdays…the list is endless. Hiring someone to put together a flower backdrop can get pretty pricey. Hiring anyone to do anything related to event design is pricey which is why I am a DIY kind of party gal. So today ‘Im going to show you how to get this gorgeous look by creating your own DIY paper flower backdrop.
DIY PAPER FLOWER BACKDROP SUPPLIES
- Paper flower cut file
- Silhouette or Cricut (optional)
- Hot glue gun
- Painters tape or 3M strips
HOW TO MAKE A DIY PAPER FLOWER BACKDROP
There are many different ways to make DIY paper flowers and many different paper flower templates available. Today I’m showing you how to make paper flowers using a cutting machine. I have a video below and also links to more giant paper flower tutorials.
- Download a free flower cut file or purchase one from the Silhouette or Cricut store. I used a cut file that I purchased from the Silhouette store. Because I purchased it, I can’t offer it to you for free but there are many out there to download.
- Cut out the file on your Silhouette or Cricut. Each petal will be cut out separately. Make the outer petals as big as you can. I have a Silhouette portrait so I am limited to an 8.5×11 sheet of paper but if you have a Cameo or a Cricut, you can use 12×12 sheets of paper.
- The way you assemble your flower will depend on the type of cut file that you use. Some flowers are roll flowers and some you just glue together. I show you the process for the flower cut file that I used in the video below and in the following steps.For my flowers, I used design #144692 from the Silhouette store. These are all the pieces of the flower cut file that I used. Not shown are the leaves.
There is a score mark on each petal. Fold on each score mark.
Attach the petal as shown below with hot glue.
Repeat for each petal and stack each one on top of each other as shown below.
For the center of the flower, roll the paper around itself.
Attach the center of the flower to the other petals with hot glue.
HOW TO ATTACH PAPER FLOWERS TO BACKDROP
Attach your flowers to the wall with painters tape or an adhesive that does not damage walls. If you don’t want to run the risk of damaging your walls, attach your paper flowers to posterboard and then attach the posterboard to the wall with 3M strips.
If you don’t have a cutting machine and still want to do this project, you CAN! You’ll just need to cut everything out by hand. Here is a great tutorial with downloadable templates.
Just look at how amazing this DIY paper flower backdrop turned out.
This project does take a bit of time depending on the number of flowers that you make but the results are so worth it. This is not one of my 15 minute projects. The whole process took me a few hours to complete so definitely factor that in and don’t wait till the last minute to create this beauty. This project is best to do if you have a free afternoon or when you are binging Netflix at night.
I hope you enjoyed this DIY paper flower backdrop tutorial.
Love it! Pin it!
You may also like:
JOIN MY COMMUNITY!
Enter your email to get a free home decor print package plus new prints each month! By entering your email, you are agreeing to receive weekly newsletters from us.