DIY Wooden Sign

I love of signs. Whenever I need to fill up a big empty wall space, I  usually make a sign.  You can see some of them here, here and here. I decided that I needed a new one for my decor so I made a DIY Wooden Sign.

How to make a DIY Wooden Sign

I’ve made signs before but I think this one is my absolute favorite. I tried to make one last year with this saying but it didn’t turn out like I planned. But this one turned out perfect.

I used scrap wood for this project and cut it down to size. To hold the wood together, I attached three paint stirrers to the back of the wood. Drill pilot holes first and then put your screws in. I placed 3 screws in each paint stirrer.After I attached all the wood together, I sanded it with a palm sander and 120 grit sandpaper.  (aff. link) This step (sanding) is optional as I will explain below.

How to make a DIY Wooden Sign

After sanding, I gave it a coat of DecoArt Chalky Finish Paint in Serene.  (aff. link)This is the first time I have used this paint and I love it. It gave my sign a nice weathered look which is exactly what I was going for. The best thing about chalky finish paint? You don’t have to sand or prime the wood.  I chose to sand it because I wanted a smooth surface but you don’t have to.

How to make a DIY Wooden Sign

I created a stencil using my Silhouette  (aff. link) cutting machine and vinyl, placed the stencil onto the sign and painted it with white paint.

It now lives on my beach themed mantel along with my Mod Podge Nautical Map Monogram that I made last year.

How to make a DIY Wooden Sign

How to make a DIY Wooden Sign

Cost of this project: NOTHING! I used everything that I had on hand.

If you like this post, check out my July 4th Pallet Art

July+4th+Pallet+Art

The following two tabs change content below.

Kelly

is a mother of two living in coastal North Carolina. Her lifestyle blog, Here Comes the Sun, contains easy crafts, recipes and DIY projects. She enjoys the beach, is a chocolate addict and loves chevron, chalkboards and the Beatles.

Comments

1. Lilly says

Love your signs can’t wait to try one out! Where did you find your rustic window behind your signs? I’ve been looking for one!

• Kelly says

I did not seal it since I use mine inside. However, DecoArt makes a product called Soft-Touch Varnish that is made specifically for sealing chalky finish paint.

• Kelly says

To minimize paint from bleeding under the stencil, make sure to press the vinyl down well. Also, I paint from the outside in towards the middle of the letters so the paint is being pushed toward the middle of the letters and not under the stencil.

• Kelly says

Hi Taylor! Thanks for stopping by. I don’t quite remember what type of paint I used. However, any white paint would work. I would suggest a flat/matte paint if you are going for the weathered look. DecoArt sells a white chalky finish paint called Everlasting that would be a good option. You can just click on my affiliate link and it will take you to Amazon where you can purchase it.

2. Kayla says

Hello, this is the exact tutorial I’ve been looking for! What kind of vinyl did you use to make the stencil? I’m worried the vinyl I normally use would damage the paint job when I pulled it up (I believe it’s the permanent one though).

Thanks!

3. Susan Hines says

Hi Kelly, I’m trying to make some of these stencils but never know what the best font to use. I like the font you used in the DIY sign you made, May I ask what font it is? WE are also in NC. Moved NORTH to Mayodan, NC last year from raleigh.

• Kelly says

Susan,
      Unfortunately I do not remember the specific font that I used for the sign. I suggest using a font that is thick and chunky if you want to get the same look that I did. A good choice is IMPACT font.

Trackbacks