DIY Bay Window Curtain Rod

It all started with curtains.  I saw these curtains on some blogs and a tv show and knew I HAD to have them.

Easy DIY Bay Curtain Rod from herecomesthesunblog.net

So I went on the hunt.  I found out that they were sold at Target so I ran over there one day thinking I would pick some up.  SOLD OUT.  I called other Targets in nearby towns. SOLD OUT. I thought surely I could order them online. NOPE.  The color that I wanted was… SOLD OUT.  I called my mom who lives 12 hours away to help.  She was able to get a hold of one panel. After months and months of waiting and stalking Target every day that a new shipment came in, I FINALLY got a hold of another panel.  I bought two just in case.

That was a year ago. You would think that when I finally got my hands on them that I would put them up right away. Nope. They sat in my closet for an entire year.  I knew that I wanted to put them in my dining nook bay window but did not want to fork over the cash for the bay window curtain rod.  I had read some DIY tutorials but thought they looked too complicated.  Last weekend, I decided to try it. I’m not sure why I waited so long.  This turned out to be so easy.

Easy DIY Bay Curtain Rod from herecomesthesunblog.net

Here’s how you can make your own bay window curtain rod.

Measure the distance along the wall from the outside of one window casing to the outside of the other casing.  Allow for any overhang that you want.

Purchase this length of metal conduit at your local home improvement store.

Measure from the outside of the casing to the first bend in the wall.  Place a mark on the conduit. Do this for the other end of the conduit also. This is where you will bend your rod.

Make a template out of cardboard, a nail and a clip. Use this template to measure the exact angle of the bend. Adjust it to the correct angle and secure with the clip.
Easy DIY Bay Curtain Rod from herecomesthesunblog.net

Now to bend the conduit:  you will need help with this.  Have one person hold one end on the floor and have the other person bend the other end. Use your foot for leverage when you bend it.  Bend it until it matches the angle of your cardboard template.

Easy DIY Bay Curtain Rod from herecomesthesunblog.net
Everyone needs a little helper :)
Easy DIY Bay Curtain Rod from herecomesthesunblog.net
After you bend your conduit, hang it up to make sure that you have it exactly the way you want it. You may have to do some more bending to adjust it a bit.

Easy DIY Bay Curtain Rod from herecomesthesunblog.net

After you have your conduit exactly the way you want it, spray paint it to match the other rods in your house, if needed. I spray painted my conduit an oil rubbed bronze color to match the
curtain rods in my living room.
Easy DIY Bay Curtain Rod from herecomesthesunblog.net

The hardest part was finding finials to fit the ends of the conduit.  The finials that we had on hand were too small but the rod that they were attached to was just the right size to slip into the end of the conduit.  We simply cut the rod and slid it into the end of the conduit.

Easy DIY Bay Curtain Rod from herecomesthesunblog.net
Here is my window before:

Easy DIY Bay Curtain Rod from herecomesthesunblog.net

And here is my window after:

Easy DIY Bay Curtain Rod from herecomesthesunblog.net

I think it looks better all dressed up, don’t you?

The cost of this project was less than $10!  A couple bucks for the conduit and about 7 bucks for the spray paint.  We had everything else on hand.

Now I just have to figure out how to revamp that ugly light fixture!
The following two tabs change content below.

Kelly

is a mother of two living in coastal North Carolina. Her lifestyle blog, Here Comes the Sun, contains easy crafts, recipes and DIY projects. She enjoys the beach, is a chocolate addict and loves chevron, chalkboards and the Beatles.

Latest posts by Kelly (see all)

Comments

1. ~Amy~ says

This is pretty darn awesome! I don’t have a bay window in my house, but I have always wanted one and this is pretty ingenious! Love those curtains too!

2. says

Love, love, love this! I have a bay window in my kitchen and haven’t wanted to cough up for the rod extenders. This is a brilliant idea!

3. says

This is amazing!!!! I have had the exact same problem! I do NOT want to pay for a bay window rod and I have a window in my bedroom that is driving me bonkers!!!! Thanks for sharing!

4. says

Hey Kelly!

Did you just put your foot near where the marking was to get it to bend there? I got the supplies and want to make it but I don’t want to bend it wrong.

Thanks so much,
    Mallory @ Classy Clutter

5. says

I can’t tell you how excited I am about this idea! I have a large bay window/French door combination. This will be the perfect solution to the expensive custom rods I was looking at. Bless you for sharing!

Linda

6. says

I read your post and immediately went out to Lowes. The metal conduit is $1.57 per ten feet!! It’s so easy to bend. I look forward to spray painting tomorrow and hanging my shower curtain-turned-curtain! Thanks for the post!

7. says

OH…MY….GOSH… this is amazing! Seriously, I wish I could just hug you right now!!!! I have a bay window in my breakfast nook and I HATE how … NAKED and empty the space looks (we have really tall ceilings)… I had JC Penney’s come out and price out a nice window feature… to the tune of about TWO GRAND!!!!

GASP! Yeah, NO!

My only question is … how do you make sure you’re bending the bar in the same spot? Meaning… that one side doesn’t go facing north and the other facing south? Is that hard? Does this make sense? OMG I so want to do this THIS WEEK!!!!

• says

You use the cardboard template to make sure your angle is correct and then use your foot as leverage to help bend the conduit. Have someone else hold the other end while you do it. You may have to do a bit of adjusting once it is up.

8. says

I did something similar with a long curtain rod. I just bent the angle on my concrete step after marking where the band went with a piece of masking tape. worked out great!

9. says

Holy S!! Are you kidding me? I was about to spend like $300 bucks for curtain rods and connectors, but realized my 24” windows installed in 1926 are no longer “standard” ha. THANK YOU SO MUCH for this tutorial. Awesome!

10. says

Holy S! I was just about to spend $300 for curtain rods and connectors until I realized my 1926 24” windows are no longer “standard” ha! Thank you so much for this tutorial!! Awesome.

11. says

Great idea! Where did you get the brackets for holding the conduit up on the wall? I assume you had these on hand in your house, but do you have some tips on where I can go to find brackets like these? They look so nice and simple. Also it looks like one can easily lift the whole assembly off, like if you wanted to take the curtains down for cleaning or whatever. Love it.

• says

You can find the brackets in the curtain section of Target/Walmart etc. I’m not sure if they are sold separately or not. Mine were left over from an old curtain rod I had. Yes, it is very easy to remove the rod for cleaning.

12. says

A suggestion for the chandelier thing. The glass piece that hangs over the lights looks particularly dated, so I would look into removing that, and perhaps painting the rest of the piece. It might not look great, but I think it would look better than it is now. I think that weird glass piece is mostly what’s making it look so dated. I also googled “self made chandelier” and came up with http://www.decoist.com/2012-04-05/diy-paper-orb-chandelier-made-of-cupcakes/ which looked pretty nifty!

13. says

Great idea for curtain rods. The paint you used has a warning to not use it on galvanized surfaces. I googled and it seems that most spray paints are not supposed to stick on the galvanized metal. How is your paint holding up? Thanks.

14. Deb says

Thanks for this great tutorial! Very timely for me! I was just considering just how to “dress” that bay window in the dining area! Can’t wait to get out to the local home improvement store to get some conduit! (They have the hanging brackets, too). How about using cabinet knobs for smallish finials? You could just use a good adhesive and glue them on. My curtains are definitely NOT coming down for washing often! Once up, that’s where they’ll stay!

15. Toni says

I just made one of these for my bay window. It took longer to get someone from Home Depot to actually cut the conduit metal than it did to complete the entire project!!! Just followed your instructions and my windows look great now.

Trackbacks