Hence... the creation of my latest subway art.
Wouldn't you know it... the photos that I had of the process mysteriously disappeared. I can't find them ANYWHERE! Luckily this process is pretty simple. If you have any questions, please leave me a comment and I'll try to help.
After you have the text that you want, save the file as a jpeg and take it somewhere like Staples, Office Depot or Office Max and have them print it out as an ENGINEERING PRINT. I think it cost me around 3 bucks for the print. The standard size of engineering prints is 2' by 3' so it is important that you use this size when creating your image.
After I had my print, I used some leftover beadboard from this project and cut it to size (2' by 3'). You can use plywood but I just happened to have beadboard left over so I was using what I had.
Using spray adhesive, glue your print to the plywood. I glued mine to the BACK of the beadboard. I suggest keeping the print rolled up, spray some adhesive onto your plywood and work from the top down, rolling the print down as you go, making sure that you smooth out any air bubbles. Make sure to cover the surrounding area because the spray adhesive can get all over and make the surface that you are working on very tacky.
After is is completely dry, it is ready to hang on your wall. I hung mine with 3M picture hanging strips. I used 2 at the top and 2 at the bottom. Those suckers hold about anything!!! Depending on the thickness of your wood, you could screw some eye hooks in and string a wire between them. I think my beadboard was a bit too thin and I didn't want to take the risk of the eyehook poking through and ruining my print.
I hung ours on the wall in our living room. The engineering print give it a nice distressed look which is what I was going for.
This reminds me that even if life takes us across the country or across the world, home is where your family is no matter what your address is.
I have somewhat of a subway art obsession. You can see one of my other favorite subway art creations here.